May 03 2013

A to Z 2013 reflection post

Wow! This is the last post in this category on my blog.

I was number 376 when I signed up. Today I am 319. (Sad that
so many blogs were removed along the way. I suppose many had to drop out. A
round of applause is owed to the moderators who looked after such a long list!)

I hope those who stopped in found my posts to be enjoyable.
I especially hope that this unique look at these characters has intrigued you.
Regular subscribers will notice that none of the names used correspond with any
of my main characters in the Existence Series. There is a reason- a method to
my madness, so to speak. Consider it one more layer to the onion mystery that
surrounds book one.

( ~”You know, not
everybody likes onions. Cake! Everybody likes cake. You know what else
everybody likes? Parfaits. I never met someone who didn’t like parfait. You
never hear, “Hey, you want to go get some parfait,” and they say,
“No, I don’t like parfait.” Parfaits are delicious!”~

Thank you to everyone who left comments. They are
appreciated! A big thank you to those who voted for which of my two websites
you prefer, to those who signed the petition to help me turn the captcha off on
this blog, and to those who shared my blog with others.

I loved the category codes that were available this time
around. It really helped to create a priority-visit-order-list in a hop that is
so massive that, if one hoped to visit all the blogs in 26 posting days time,
it would mean roughly 64 blogs a day! At ten minutes per blog, that would be
640 minutes, or about 10.5 hours a day. That’s a full time job.

I started this hop off by writing three posts in advance. I
would like to say that all of my posts were planned ahead so nicely, but it did
not happen that way. I narrowed down my word list. Some letters had only one
choice, others gave me options. I thought about what would be most interesting
to explore from this storyline, what about the characters I could reveal that
would intrigue without giving away too much, and what was needed to keep the
whole alphabet story cohesive.

Click to see a link list of all the A to Z 2013 posts for this blog.

The chronological order of the posts is as follows:

H O C J L E M S N Q T A F I U G K V R Z X W B Y P D

Here is a summary of the story as it was laid out:

A slave escapes. Two
seemingly unqualified brothers, one who is mute, offer to track her down. Far
away, Mr. Davies, a twisted man of great wealth, is forced by his mother to
take a wife. He builds a machine which will offer him a distraction from the
impending reality that he dreads, but he needs parts that are not readily
available. So he pays Anthony to go to a far off desert kingdom to acquire them.

While in the desert,
Anthony meets the escaped slave. He recognizes her as a Goddess. She changes
him forever. Awoken to this new enlightenment, he decides that he needs to
alter the way he currently lives his life. Anthony has a theory about Mr.
Davies which, if he can prove, will give him a bit of blackmail to use later.
(Useful, considering that he intends to change his life.) Two slaves, a male
and female, are brought as gifts in addition to the machine parts. The preference
Mr. Davies shows indicates to Anthony that his suspicions are right.

The wedding day
approaches. The bride, Rebekha, is unsure. She asks her brother if she should
go through with it. A male slave is found dead in a public place. Rebekha
covers up the details of the murder. It breaks her inside to know the truth.
Mr. Davies goes to give the female slave to Rebekha’s brother, Marcus, who
falls in love with her.

While outside crying
about how awful her husband is, Rebekha meets Anthony. They fall in love with
each other. They meet secretly and devise a plan. Rebekha fakes her death. Her
loyal servant, Joel, is left to relay the news. Marcus does not believe him. He
goes in search of his sister once he finally gets a lead on her, leaving his
lady love at home. He promises to return. She promises to wait for his return,
no matter how long.

Rebekha and Anthony
have run away together. At first it goes well. Then they get stuck in the
desert. A most unexpected occurrence takes place. Meanwhile another character
emerges, one who is meant to be part of this group. She speaks with the
Goddess, who then goes to Rebekha and Anthony. With a bit of encouragement, the
couple finds the path to the truth about themselves. The brothers who offered
to track the Goddess down at the beginning of this story now reappear. They do
not really work for the King. Marcus joins the group, making them a team of
seven.

The Goddess slips away
from the group. She is captured and taken back to the King. He puts her on
display as a slave who is forced to dance for the entertainment of his special
guests. Her performance is truly spectacular, and it is clear why the King
found her to be so valuable. The six members of the group invade the kingdom.
They defeat all odds and become over confident in their impeding victory.

This glimpse of the
story does not reveal what happens to defeat the heroes. It does, however, show
a portion of the story where the King has his army invade the town that Marcus,
Rebekha, and Anthony were from. The final clue given is the dowdy woman, the
one who was a slave before Marcus fell in love with her. She has grown old.
Time has been unkind. She remains where she is, her promise to wait for his
return still in tact.

I look forward to taking part again in this hop next
year. I had even more fun this year than I did last year. I wish all of you the
best. Use any of the methods on my sidebar to follow this blog. Please keep in
touch!

Please also consider clicking
these from J Lenni Dorner:

Anti Word Verification line Vote
line

blog hop image

• Jessica Topper on May 3, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Wow, what a cool way to handle the A to Z! I’m sorry I didn’t land on your blog in April, but will definitely peek back and check it out. I agree, the fact that the mods had to not only do their own posts daily, but weed out the bad links as well – impressive! Congrats on completing the journey!
    Jess/Blogging on the Brink

• Arlee Bird on May 3, 2013 at 3:19 AM

Now I know why I didn’t make it through the list–your figures explained it. In fact I think I missed your blog, but glad to find it now. I think you did well.
    Glad to hear the positive report and that you plan to come back next year.

Oh yeah, and I dislike your Captcha if you’re still taking votes.

Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

• J Lenni Dorner on May 3, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Thank you for the comments.

I hate my captcha. Loathe it. I spit upon it.
    The votes were for the websites. The Captcha link is to a petition that I started in the hope that my blog host will give me the choice to turn it off.
    • J Lenni Dorner on May 3, 2013 at 4:12 AM

The mods should each get a box of chocolates or something. They ROCK!

• Yvonne Lewis on May 3, 2013 at 8:04 AM

A wonderful Reflection post and you left no stone unturned, Congrats on the completion.
    Yvonne.
    A TO Z AMBASSADOR.

• Sandy on May 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM

oophs captcha’s back. I didn’t use the categories at all, just started with where I was as suggested and visited the next 5 blogs, did that unless I reached an adult content blog or one that was so technical like physics or something. Love the orange and purple background. Did you enjoy the challenge, did you gain anything from it?

• Tina Downey on May 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Yes, it was a year of drop-outs…sadly. But we were able to remove most of them instead of you needing to get frustrated clicking on as many non-participating blogs…or at least that was the goal 😉
    I HATE CAPTCHA. I refuse to comment on those blogs, but I see that you’re trying desperately to get rid of it, so I’m proud of you. Will sign the petition. I have a graphic I was going to put up at my place you might enjoy…will go do that now so that you can grab it if you ever come visit. It’ll be the one under “captcha free blog”. Good luck in your quest!
    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-host, April 2013 A-Z Challenge Blog
    @TinaLifeisGood, #atozchallenge

• Laura Marcella on May 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Congrats on finishing the Challenge! I’m glad you had such a positive experience your first year. I’m already thinking about what kind of theme I want to do next year!

Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

• Stephanie Scott on May 3, 2013 at 5:12 PM

With all the blogs I visited, I still didn’t land on yours. Crazy! congrats on finishing and starting with a plan. Plans are always helpful!

• M J Joachim on May 3, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I don’t feel so bad now, since I doubt I’ll ever have 10+ hours a day to devote to blogging. Thanks for sharing those figures and making me feel better. Not sure how to vote on your captcha, but I’m all for getting rid of it. Best of the weekend to you!

• Trisha on May 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Congrats on achieving your A-Z challenge win!

Ten minutes per blog? I was trying for under a minute to scan the day’s post and leave a comment! haha. I really was trying to visit 66 blogs a day. Didn’t quite work out though 😉

• Teresa C on May 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I’ll have to come back and read your April posts. I missed your blog.

• J Lenni Dorner on May 8, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Most regrettably, the captcha has yet to leave. Perhaps you and others like you could help? Just click this:

Anti Word Verification

I am glad that you like my background! I worked hard to make it. I think a seamless texture works well.

I did enjoy the challenge! Other than what I already listed, I also gained some new acquaintances, followers, blogs which intrigue me, and books on my “to read/to buy” list.
    • J Lenni Dorner on May 8, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I think the mods (such as you) did a great job! Seriously, there should be an award.

I really am trying very hard to get my captcha removed (or at least to be given the choice).
    When I signed up for a blog linked to my web-site it did not mention that I would not have that choice. It talked about the many choices and options that I would have, about the vast control I would be given, and about the many fantastic options which would be at my fingertips. Then it showed me a video which highlighted the ease of use. *kitten purring sound*
    The petition is nearly half signed. I really hope that it will make a difference. I hope to be able to turn it off by next year!
    Hopefully soon I can be a captcha free blog!
    Thank you for stopping by.
    • J Lenni Dorner on May 8, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Two years strong here, eager for year three!

I <3 A to Z!
    • J Lenni Dorner on May 8, 2013 at 2:11 AM

A loose plan, but yes, a plan. Or maybe a goal. LOL. Either way, it was a great time!

• J Lenni Dorner on May 8, 2013 at 2:20 AM

The vote is for my two websites.

what-are-they.com is WAY in the lead, for those who are interested. existenceseries.com has only 30% of the votes, but a note that it is the more professional looking of the two. This is accurate, as that was why I created it. But I write FICTION, most especially fiction which falls into the category of fantasy… Even if you put a fantasy character in a suit and tie, there still is not much “professional” to be had. On the other side of the coin, I will need to deal with stuffy suit-and-tie industry professionals in order to reach my fun loving imaginative fantasy consumers.
    To help get rid of the captcha, just sign the petition:

Anti Word Verification

• J Lenni Dorner on May 8, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Not sure that I could spend under a minute. There’s the time to load (some are faster than others- blogger seems to be the slowest… funny since I use Chrome… ), then there’s finding the post, reading it, coming up with a comment, and possibly following the blogger in some form or forms. And if there’s captcha, that’s another three minutes right there just to decode!

• J Lenni Dorner on May 8, 2013 at 2:25 AM

That’s the nice thing about the internet… my blog will be here later!

Of course there will be a great many more posts when you get back. But that’s fun too, isn’t it?
    • J Lenni Dorner on May 8, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Thank you!

1. laser cutters

Laser cutting machine

• Shannon Lawrence on June 23, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Good luck with captcha! Like you, I didn’t have everything nicely written in advance, but I did have a list. There were some topics I changed at the last minute, and some I struggled to find, not having gotten them figured out ahead of time, but overall, even the list was helpful.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse

• J Lenni Dorner on June 24, 2013 at 3:52 AM

Thanks!

• Nicole on September 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Thanks for participating in the 2013 A to Z Challenge! I’m glad that you had fun and by reading your reflections, it sounds like your A-Z experience gets better each year, which is awesome. I came across your blog while doing the Road Trip and must say…this is one of the most organized, concise and easy to read reflections that I’ve visited so far.

~Nicole
    #atozchallenge Co-Host

2. Hi, I’d like to share with others my experience with Roy McDonald and the OneLife team… My name is Joy Brown, and I am a musician from Melbourne. I recently completed Roy McDonald’s workshop on how to be wealthy and also read his book, ?How to turn $1 into $1 Million’.