A list of seven of something- brought to you on Sunday. What can you add?
Ways to give back to the writing community
- Support libraries and Friends of the Library groups
- Participate in Twitter hashtags like #WW #WriterWednesday #WriteClub #WriteChat #amwriting #writing #writetip #writer
- Buy from independent bookshops when possible, especially during author signing events
- Spread the good word about other writers
- Leave book reviews on sites like Amazon and Goodreads
- If asked, take the time to give honest and constructive feedback to a fellow writer
- Support the amazing work done by the people at sites such as World Lit Cafe, Lit Reactor, Operation Awesome, and DL Hammons’ Writeclub
I try to do what I can to give back when I can. It does not always work out. For my human failures, I am sorry.
I have let down my writing community with the following tweet.
— J Lenni Dorner (@JLenniDorner) September 18, 2014
DL was right to call me on it.
— DL Hammons (@DL_H) September 20, 2014
I didn’t know what the tweet was in reference to until October 1st. @Dannie_Morin – aka Swick- and I were not yet introduced at the time of that tweet.
I put my love and desire for books with diverse characters ahead of logical judgment. Oddly, this could have impacted Cocktail Lion (aka @ajvan), a fellow fantasy entrant who I rallied for during save week. Possibly that pin also violated a rule- I don’t know.
The following image shows the actual and potential impact of the rule violating tweet (as it has been determined that it directly solicited for votes), along with one of the non-rule-breaking tweets from the same day.
My deepest apologies to everyone.
To publicly chastise me without giving me the potential benefits from blog comments, please proceed to DL’s wrap-up post.
Not that it makes it right or any better, but:
Click here to see the other #writeclub2014 tweets I made. Also:
I did not personally read every retweet, so I cannot say if any of those also broke a rule.
Here are the links to all of my other posts (It’s a 5 page Google Doc that I embedded.)
I know that my full disclosure of all of the links will never undo the one horrendous mistake. Possibly more villainous violations will be found! I pray that is not the case.
Hopefully I will serve as an example of what not to do in the future.
Again, I am sorry to all who were involved.