Feb 06 2015

#atozchallenge I volunteer as tribute

I volunteer as tribute! That worked out for Katniss, right? Umm… LOL

A to Z challenge 2015

I’m very excited about the A to Z challenge. This is my forth year taking part, and my first year as an ambassador. Once the list was opened, I signed up (I was at spot 59 last time I looked), and then strolled over to Lee’s page to ask how to “volunteer as tribute.”

team member

I’ve since been scooped up and am now a proud team member! As a volunteer, I still do my own posts, and still visit and comment on other blogs in the challenge. But if I notice anything wrong (a site turned into a spambot, someone not posting for a week during the challenge, or adult content on an unlabeled blog), I let my co-host know. Honestly, that’s something I probably would have done anyway.

Last year, between the theme reveal, April, the reflection, and the roadtrip-  I visited close to three hundred blogs. (Mostly those labeled writing and books, but a few others as well.) That sounds like a big number, until you consider just how many more there were to see. I’m looking forward to checking in with old friends and making new ones this year. A to Z is all about building community. It isn’t just a list of people who blog, it’s a list of people who are looking to connect. Through category codes, snappy blog names, or various themes, we’re people proclaiming, “I am interesting enough to devote at least five minutes to, and I’m hoping that we’ll end up having a common interest so we can spend more time getting to know one another.” Really, that’s the point of this blog hop.

With that in mind, I’m going to share a quick recommendation.

First off, it is widely understood among A to Z people that we WANT to get to know each other. Leaving a link to your blog, along with your comment, makes it easier for someone to hunt you down and say hello. That’s why every year there’s a post about how to put a hyperlink in your signature.

Here’s another useful way to encourage comment leavers to provide this: CommentLuv

If you use Blogger, here’s a step by step guide for getting the free version-

I swear that it is easier than you think. Just go one step at a time. It will not mess up what you have. In fact, one instruction actually backs up what you have now before you make the improvement. How cool is that? Very.

For WordPress:

CommentLuv premiumPremium or free version.

The free one is fine. The paid one gives you more choices, especially when commenting on other CommentLuv enabled sites. It also plays well with other plugins, such as Subscribe2.

I cannot speak for other blogging platforms. I would suggest checking with your favorite search engine or web-tech person.

I love that people are more likely to leave me their links. I am inclined to visit my comment leavers. Also, I like that I often get Twitter handles with this, allowing me a second way to connect with guests.

1. Hope you survive as tribute! This should be one wild April.

Your post was great and should help clear up what Team Members do.

1. Indeed. I’m looking forward to it!

2. So glad to have you on board. This post is a good example of why you will be so valuable as a member of the Team. Excellent suggestions. Thanks for volunteering!

Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Arlee Bird has this post to share Hello, Bye Bye (Not the Beatles Song)My Profile

1. Thank you so much. :”>

• AimeeKay on February 6, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Thanks for the tips! Gonna try hyper-linking my signature here! *fingers-crossed* that it works. lol.
    AimeeKay @ AimeeKay’s Review’s & Other Randomness
    AimeeKay has this post to share A to Z Challenge April 2015My Profile

• AimeeKay on February 6, 2015 at 5:38 PM

Oh yay! It worked! Thanks again for the tips!! Gonna try out comment luv later when I have more time!!
    Can’t wait to see your posts for the challenge and may the odds be ever in your favor!
    AimeeKay has this post to share A to Z Challenge April 2015My Profile

1. Yay! I’m glad it works. You’ve come to one of the right spots to test those signatures, because I’d have been happy to help if it didn’t work. But I’m so glad for you that it did. Bravo!
      And thanks for getting my Hunger Games reference. You rock.

3. I volunteered as one of those whatchamacallit things…from Despicable Me. I can’t remember what they’re called!!! It just means if I’m chosen, I get to tattle on people when they aren’t doing the challenge but they’re on the list!
    Stephanie Faris has this post to share How to Get More Blog Readers and Other AdviceMy Profile

1. Minion. We’re minions. And frankly, you are going to be excellent at it. I can tell.
      We’re going to have a great April! 🙂

4. Aw congrats! That’s awesome 😀
    anna (herding cats & burning soup) has this post to share Word from the Herd: Are there just *too* many books? What’s keeping YOU from buying more books?My Profile

1. Thank you so much. It’s going to be a fun year.

5. I love the title of this post! Yay for being a tribute! I’ve agreed to be a minion…to help the co-hosts by visiting at least 5 participants from the list everyday, which is what I had planned on doing anyway. 🙂
    Chrys Fey has this post to share Writing About: WinterMy Profile

1. Greetings my fellow minion! Thanks for stopping in.
      And yes, The Hunger Games has overtaken part of my brain.

• Beth on February 11, 2015 at 10:16 AM

I hear so much about the A-Z challenge! sounds super fun!

6. Yay for the challenge! I’ve loved it the last two years I played, but I’m not going to make it this year–not around the baby. (As much as it’s killing me.) I’ll have to pop in and see what’s happening as my sanity allows. =)
    Crystal Collier has this post to share This World Bites Fairytales!My Profile

• Jess on February 12, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Awesome advice! I haven’t participated in posting for A-Z because of time. One of these years I will get organized ahead of time with my posts. 🙂 But- I do love to visit as many of the posts as I can because they are so fun.
    Jess has this post to share Will Llama Llama Share?My Profile

7. Such a helpful post! I’ve already clicked on the links you’ve provided. THANK YOU.
    Margo Kelly has this post to share A Valentine’s #Giveaway!My Profile

• Joyce on February 20, 2015 at 7:52 PM

I’ve done it for the past three or four years, too, but I’ve decided to opt out this year. I just don’t have the time to visit everyone.
    Joyce has this post to share Je suis Jeuf.My Profile

• wilgiles on December 2, 2016 at 1:25 PM

This post is a good example of why you will be so valuable as a member of the Team. Excellent suggestions. Thanks for the shearing.