Mar 23 2015

My A to Z Theme Reveal 2015 #atozchallenge Contains Setting #writetip

The #atozchallenge theme reveal
This year, my aim is to spend the challenge inspiring and teaching how to create settings that feel like characters.

Why would you want to do this?

Well, if you aren’t a fiction writer, you probably wouldn’t. I’m sorry about that. (This is a blog, not a big box store. I can’t always have something for everybody!) If you’re an avid reader of fiction, it might appeal to you to get this “behind the curtain” peek at what goes in to making that magic happen. But for those of you who ARE fiction writers, here’s the best reason:

At least two literary agents have, during #MSWL, mentioned looking for manuscripts employing this trait. (Manuscript Wishlist- where lit agents tweet their desires.)

Prefer the Indie publishing route, or already have an agent? That’s okay! Consider the other angle of these tweets. If two literary agents are looking for this, it means that others who don’t use #MSWL probably are as well. (Just check out the replies to the tweets!) Why would that be? Probably because a publishing house (maybe more than one) is looking for it. And that means that it’s considered a market, that someone out there who studies trends believes that this quality in a novel will sell, sell, sell!

Not all writers believe in writing for the market, or in selling their books to the masses. But many do. And many are always looking for ways to improve, or new and fresh ways to approach that “manuscript at the bottom of the drawer with the layer of dust on it.”

So, if you think you might learn something useful from this, bookmark this blog now.

(Or just drop by to say hello. I love making new friends with varied interests.)

Preparing to Write Settings that Feel like Characters

1. I am looking forward to your post for the upcoming A to Z Challenge.
    I think this is an excellent theme as well. Right up my alley.

Cheers, Jenny
    2015 A to Z Challenge Ambassador
    Pearson Report has this post to share CREEPY – it’s true – IT IS the creepiest, I’m told!My Profile

• Hilary on March 23, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Hi Lenni – good luck with the challenge – and should be a really useful theme for many authors .. cheers Hilary
    Hilary has this post to share Scarves from Stones … ? Rock Chips onto Silk …?My Profile

2. That sounds great!
    Looking forward to reading your posts during the Challenge.
    Heather

Heather M. Gardner
    Co-host: Blogging from A to Z April Challenge
    Blog: The Waiting is the Hardest Part [www.hmgardner.blogspot.com]
    Heather M. Gardner has this post to share The Great and Powerful A to Z Theme Reveal Blogfest & a Cover Reveal for Kristy Centeno!My Profile

• Debra on March 23, 2015 at 9:44 AM

This sounds great! I can’t wait to read it!

3. Wahoo. It sounds super. I will try to get by and read your posts (at least some of them). I have a lot going on with my writing so I am not doing it this year. But I will cheer everyone. Setting is most assuredly a character. If more writers thought that way, we’d have a lot better books to choose from.

4. Haven’t really thought about my own #MSWL. I have some ideas for sure that I have not been that aware of, but better if I actually consciously write them down fo follow. Good theme idea!

5. As a kind of beginning writer, I’ll look forward to seeing your posts on that! You can check out my theme in the link below!
    Lisa Mandina (Lisa Loves Literature) has this post to share A to Z Blogging Challenge Theme RevealMy Profile

6. Spare me the box stores. And thanks for the great theme. See you tons in April.

7. Yay glad you’re joining in this year too 🙂
    anna (herding cats & burning soup) has this post to share Book Deals & New Releases for March 24th!My Profile

8. I love this! As a historical fiction writer, setting is very important to me. Looking forward to reading your posts!

@TarkabarkaHolgy from
    Multicolored Diary – Epics from A to Z
    MopDog – The crazy thing about Hungarians…

9. Writers can learn a lot from your Challenge. Good Luck!

-Chrys Fey
    Tremp’s Troops – A to Z Co-co-host
    Chrys Fey has this post to share A to Z Theme RevealMy Profile

10. Great tips! Some day, oh some day, I will start working seriously on amping up my manuscript and trying to get it published. It’s non-fiction, but the setting is especially important so I am sure you’ll have at least a few tips for me! Thanks for all the retweets of my Jane Austen posts, by the way! I look forward to following you A-Z!
    Brandy Robertson has this post to share If Jane Austen Blogged A-Z (and a GIVEAWAY)My Profile

• Cait on March 29, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Sounds like it’s going to be an interesting series of challenge posts.

Good luck with it. 🙂
    Cait has this post to share Weekly Rundown: Wet Walk & Another AppointmentMy Profile

• Jetgirl on April 2, 2015 at 10:19 PM

I’m not a writer, but finding out what goes on “behind the scenes” will be fascinating! Thanks for the visit to my A to Z as well 🙂
    Jetgirl has this post to share Un Septembre Inoubliable – “Au Bistrot”My Profile

1. I hope you’re enjoying it!

• Susan on April 3, 2015 at 5:55 AM

Hi J.
    I’m visiting back from A to Z. I like the idea that you are not a big box store. Writing fiction is not my main thing, but I’ll make a note of your site. writers are all learners, after all. Sue
    Susan has this post to share B is for BlessedMy Profile

1. Thanks for stopping in.

• Jean on April 13, 2015 at 11:04 AM

I love the idea of settings like characters. This is something I’d like to do better.

Jean, back from the Grand Tour and visiting for the A-Z Challenge from Rantings and Ravings of an Insane Writer Number 209 on the A-Z List.

Jean Schara
    Blackbirds First Flight (Quin)
    Blackbirds Second Flight (Glaring Upheaval and Malone’s Way)

1. Well, I hope I’ve been of help to you this month in working toward the goal of being a better writer.

• Deniz on May 3, 2015 at 5:22 AM

Love that you had a hidden theme! And such a good one too. The history of a setting is always fun to explore.