March 6 question – Whose perspective do you like to write from best, the hero (protagonist) or the villain (antagonist)? And why?
I mostly write from who I think of as the protagonist.
We say hero and villain, but really it’s just a big goal versus an opposite big goal.
- P wants to save the world, A want to take over the world.
- P wants to break an addiction, A is that addiction that doesn’t want to be broken.
- P wants one kind of life, A demands that P has a different kind.
- P wants to eat the red berries, A is a red berry and was never meant for P to consume so (poop emoji)…
- P will not stand for how things are, A is the way things are.
- P is just chillin on Earth, A takes issue with Earthlings.
- P just wants to open a can of tuna, A is a can-opener that needs to be replaced.
I have had fun writing a protagonist who was a bit villainous. It was a short story around the holidays.